Skip to main content

What is the difference between Chemical & Physical Exfoliants??

 Hey guys!!

What is exfoliation for?

Your skin regenerates every 28 days or so and sun exposure and aging slows that process down. That is where exfoliation is key. It removes dead skin cells, brighten your skin complexion, and fades acne scars. 

Getting rid of your dead skin cells is very important because it can help prevent bacteria, dirt, and sweat from getting stuck underneath the skin's surface. It can also help prevent and treat acne and inflamed pores. 

What type of exfoliations are there?

There are two types of exfoliations. Physical and Chemical.

Physical Exfoliation

Physical exfoliation is my least favorite and I do not recommend. Here is why.

Physical exfoliant products uses micro-sized grains, beads, and particles to remove dead skin cells. Basically anything that scrubs at your skin like tiny granules. It is made of coffee grounds, walnut shell powder, sugar, rice, and salt.

Other examples of physical exfoliation are a cleansing brush, a konjac sponge, a cloth, and a pumice stone. 

This type of exfoliation is very harsh on sensitive skin and will irritate any acne that you have on your skin, cause acne scars, and irritate your rosacea.

Using physical exfoliation it is be very unpredictable, uneven, and very abrasive. If you are not careful it can tear your skin. 

One type of physical exfoliation that I can agree with as long as a professional is doing it is Microdermabrasion. It is a minimal, invasive procedure to renew overall skin tone and texture. It can improve the appearance of sun damage, wrinkles, fine lines, age spots, acne scars, melasma, and etc.

The only way I may use physical exfoliation would be on the body since it isn't as sensitive as my skin, but I still hesitate because knowing me I am not gentle. I could still irritate my skin.

Chemical Exfoliation

This is my favorite type of exfoliation. 

Chemical Exfoliation removes dead skin cells by dissolving dirt and oil in the pores, and breaking up the bond that holds the dead skin cells to healthy skin. 

Two types of Chemical Exfoliation is AHA(Alpha Hydroxy Acids) and BHA(Beta Hydroxy Acids). 

AHA's includes Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, Malic Acid, Tartaric Acid, Citric Acid, and Mandelic Acid. BHA's include Salicylic Acid, Tropic Acid, Trethocanic Acid, and Beta Hydroxibutanoic Acid.

AHA's exfoliates the uppermost layer of the skin. By using it, your skin will be more hydrated, more refined that it looks smooth, fresher skin, and overtime become firmer.

BHA's can get deeper into the pores to remove dead skin cells and excess sebum. 

With chemical exfoliation you need to start only once a week. After a few weeks you can increase to one more day and keep going till you are using it everyday if you desire to do it everyday.

Also you must wear sunscreen the next day because it makes your skin be more sensitive to the sun and can cause damage.

I only use it twice a week and I feel that is good enough for me.

Next couple of posts I am going to go more in depth about AHA's and BHA's.

Which do you like to do? Physical or Chemical exfoliation? What are some of your favorite products??

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara

Hey guys!!! I saw a review on YouTube on a new mascara and after seeing that I really wanted to try it out. I went and bought the Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara in waterproof. I LOVE the Maybelline The Rocket mascara and it is my holy grail, but I always love trying other mascaras and see if it is as good or even better than The Rocket.  I really love the wand because I am able to reach the lashes in my inner corner. One important thing to me in a mascara is if the waterproof formula will keep my lashes curled all day without them falling. I am happy to say that my curl stay up all day with this mascara. This is my second Maybelline mascara that I have tried and I am noticing that if I didn't have a good makeup remover it would be really hard to remove.  This mascara gave me a little bit of length and good volume. I like to build up my mascaras and this will make my lashes clumpy after the second coat and I don't like the look.. Sometimes even if I am ...

Elizabeth Arden Giveaway

Hey guys!!! The other day I realized it has been a year since I started blogging. I would like to thank you guys for your support and I wasn't sure how to show my appreciation. A few weeks back Influenster sent me an email telling me that they were sending me a Elizabeth Arden skin care set and I thought why not give them away. There are going to be two winners. First winner will get the Elizabeth Arden Flawless Future Caplet Serum, Eye Gel, and Moisture Cream. Second winner will win a sample of the Elizabeth Arden Flawless Future Caplet Serum.(will add picture of it tomorrow) If you want to win just do the following: Elizabeth Arden Giveaway Hope you guys enter the giveaway and love the products I am giving away. Good luck guys!!

100 Bloglovin Followers Giveaway

Hey guys!! I honestly never thought I would even reach these many followers or not even 10 followers. I don't think I am that interesting or even a good writer, but the support of my bf and my friends and of course all of you all motivates me to continue. I would to thank everyone for your support and I hope you guys love this giveaway. The NYX eyeshadow trio and the Pacifica eyeshadow dou was only swatched and I never put them on my eyes. I will sanitize it before sending it out. Other than that nothing else was used or touched by me. Also my friend Brittany is going to send me some Mary Kay samples for you guys and if you ever have any questions you can contact her through here . Thanks again girl!! I might be adding a couple more things that I will keep a secret! I hope you will have fun trying out these new products!! Thank you guys so much for supporting me it means so much to me and GOOD LUCK!! a Rafflecopter giveaway